Thursday, January 22, 2009

Benediction

Most of you probably saw or heard about the benediction at the inauguration, but if you haven't, you've got to hear this. This is an excerpt from the end of the prayer:

"we ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get in back, when brown can stick around ... when yellow will be mellow ... when the red man can get ahead, man; and when white will embrace what is right."

Are you KIDDING me? Who SAYS that?! In one sense it was hilarious, in another sense it very was disrespectful and distasteful. It ended the whole event on a really weird note and kind of took away from the good feeling of it all.

...not to mention this other part of the prayer:

"deliver us from the exploitation of the poor, of the least of these, and from favoritism toward the rich, the elite of these".

Wow. I don't even know what to say about that. I think they might be a little more careful about their selection of the benediction giver next time around!

Zach and I haven't had a chance to listen to the whole speech yet, but I heard snippets of it at work. I'm really excited to see what happens over the next few years. I'm no expert on all the political policies and situations going on, but Obama seems to have a lot of engery, drive, and determination and he seems to have a good head on his shoulders so I'm excited to see what he does.

1 comment:

Cody and Haylee said...

Oh my gosh, I hadn't heard that! That is so crazy. Thanks for posting that, I got a good laugh!!!