This post is for my sister Dana, who posts in her blog all the time but never gets to see family posts in return. Here are a few of the things going on around here lately.
COCKROACHES. Oh my heck. Last week, in the middle of the night, I'm just minding my own business off in dreamland when a giant cockroach falls from the ceiling and lands right on my arm! I was sleeping on my stomach so my arms were up by my face, so that thing was looking me right in the eyes. Oh man, I freaked out. I was out of bed with the lights on screaming at Zach to kill it in a fraction of a second. Luckily Zach was able to kill it. After changing my pillowcase and laying a clean sheet across the bed, we attempted to go back to sleep but neither of us could sleep the rest of the night. Zach was like "oh man, if that would have been another one of your bad dreams...I would be mad!" Then in the morning I found a GIANT one on the ceiling in the dining room, which I flicked down with a broom and was then unable to find. Then another one in front of my nightstand. Then that night I was changing the sheets before bed and one came scurrying out of the sheet as I was unfolding it! I held that one hostage under the bed with my flashlight for 25 min waiting for Zach to get home to help me kill it. I have a borderline phobia of cockroaches. They freak me out so bad I almost want to throw up. We will be paying for pest control to come spray our house this week.
GAGGING. Owen discovered how to gag himself one night at dinner. And he thought it was hilarious. He'd gag himself with both pointer fingers and then bust up laughing. Well, that was funny until he threw up his WHOLE dinner and we had to feed him another meal. He was gagging himself the rest of the night and I was pretty nervous this was going to be his new favorite thing to do. Luckily the next day he forgot about that fun little activity.
POOP. Well, we've reached a new low. Both my boys ate poop today. We were playing in Owen's room when I had to use the bathroom. Owen's room is babyproofed (or so I thought) so I thought I was safe to leave the boys in there for 2 minutes while I used the bathroom. Somehow a poopy diaper that was on top of the dresser made its way to the floor (I'm still trying to figure out how that happened). When I got back in the room there were chunks of poop all over the carpet and both of them had it all over their hands and face. So, SO disgusting. SOOOOOOO disgusting. That was a fun little mess to clean up. And I'm pretty sure they both might get sick from it. Seriously people, I was gone for 2 minutes. Mother of the year.
HEAT. Three. more. days. of HOT in Dallas until a cold front comes through and cools us down for what's looking like a week. Then it's FALL. Oh blessed fall. I cannot adequately express the joy in my soul that summer is OVER! The boys can actually experience what outside is.
DECISIONS. Zach is only just beginning his 2-year residency, but it feels like we have so little time to make some very big decisions. Usually near the beginning of the second year of residency is when people start deciding where they will go next - signing contracts with other dentists and such. That leaves us about a year to figure this out. I can't stop thinking about it and it's kind of driving me crazy. With some professions you just kind of have to go where the job is...but with dentistry I feel like we can kind of pick where we want to settle down and we can find/build a good opportunity there. There are definitely some exceptions - some very saturated markets - but for the most part I feel like we could pretty much go wherever we want. Which is awesome and stressful all at the same time. The thing with dentistry is that the decision is quite final. Once you build up a practice, you're pretty much there forever. I don't know why I'm so stressed about it - I've always been a believer that you can "bloom where you're planted" and really be happy anywhere. And I still believe that. But when you can choose where you're planted? It seems like so many other people make these life-changing decisions with so much more ease than I do. I'm probably just over-thinking it and I probably just need to chill out a little. But deciding where you want to live for the rest of your years on this earth....isn't that kind of a big deal?
I'm not even going to attempt to do a catch-up of the goings-on in our family. But here are a few pics.




3 comments:
Thanks for FINALLY posting on your blog. We need to get together and have a lunch with the boys.
yay for a blog post!! funny timing, both you and my sister in law posted after my last one saying I inspired them, so I'm doing something right! Keep them coming if it doesn't interfere with your sanity or the well being of your children. which I understand it might. . . cockroaches--gross! poop--double gross. makes me shudder just thinking about it. And I totally agree with your decision dilema--it's a big deal! Sometimes I think I'm happier with few options or none at all. When every option is available to you it can be so stressful trying to make sure you choose the absolute best possible choice that will make you the most happy! (i've been meaning to read this book--i think it's called the Art of Choosing? on the psychology of choice, look it up) I'm sad you'll be moving probably further away from us, but all my votes are on Oregon or Colorado!! All of those photos are so cute--love the one in the high chairs
How did your boys get so big?! They are so adorable. I'll put a vote in for Utah. :) Then we could see more than once every 2 years!
Post a Comment