Sunday, October 24, 2010

Customer Service

Since I bought our new HP printer a few months ago I have had some problems with it freezing up. The buttons on the panel just stop working and I can't even turn it off without unplugging it. This has happened probably 10 times. So I got on a chat session with an HP customer service rep. After I answered a million questions about my life history, this is the conversation we had:

Rep: Okay, let's try a few things to see if we can isolate the problem.

Me: Okay.

Rep: Unplug the power cord from the printer, then from the wall.

Me: Well, that's what I always do when I have this problem. I'm trying to figure out why it freezes in the first place so I don't have to keep unplugging it. I'm afraid I will damage something if I keep unplugging it while it's running.

Rep: Yes, I see. You won't damage anything by unplugging it. We just need to isolate the problem.

Me: Fine, it's done. Now what?

Rep: Now plug it back in and turn it on.

Me: Okay done.

Rep: Does the problem persist?

Me: No.

Rep: Good. Is there anything else I can help you with today?


I really can't believe I just had that conversation. Actually, to be honest I've come to expect these kinds of conversations every time I call customer service anywhere. Sometimes I am just amused at their incompetence, but more often than not my blood is boiling by the time I get off the phone. I know I need to take a chill pill sometimes, but is it too much to ask to have customer service agents who actually know what they're talking about?

6 comments:

Ryan, Cassie and Crew said...

Yes, please can we get someone who knows what they are talking about? Oh, and can we include doctors in with the customer service people? Miss you guys.

ellen said...

Amen! I wish we could reach through the phone and slap them.

Mom Alleman said...

What a frustrating experience! There's no such thing as "customer service" anymore. We love you guys!

Mom Alleman said...

What a frustrating experience! There's no such thing as "customer service" anymore. We love you guys!

Unknown said...

yes. it is too much to expect. as a customer service agent at a call center--i see the dysfunctionality behind the scenes.

Rebecca said...

I hate customer service reps. They are the devil!!! I think they actually train them to be that annoying so you will never call back.