Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Bad back

On Sunday as I was walking out the church building my back totally seized up and I couldn't move at all. I made it through the doors so Zach could see me from the car. I was just standing there in a weird position mouthing to him to come help me because I couldn't move. He just looked at me for awhile wondering if he really had to get up to help me (every muscle in his body hurt from playing football for 2.5 hours the day before) Finally he got up and helped me to the car. All night by back was killing! I could barely stand up and sit down and sometimes even breathing really hurt. Luckily I have a great sister-in-law who lives right down the street who knows a lot about the body and muscle aches like that. So she gave me a great massage and lent me her electric heating pad which did wonders for me that night when I slept on it. 2 days later and I was as good as new.

I've had back episodes like this many times before (usually not quite this bad) and I finally started thinking that I want to go see a doctor to get an x-ray and see what the problem is so I can get it fixed. My dad (who has also had a lot of back problems) informed me that even if the problem is diagnosed, there probably isn't anything anyone can do about it. He just told me ways to keep my back strong and reduce the frequency of it happening. I'm really worried about how my back will do if/when I get pregnant and my back has to support 30 more pounds! But I guess everyone has their ailments, and this is just one of mine.

2 comments:

The Alleman Jamboree with C&D said...

sorry to hear about that. i used to have a lot of back problems in my teen years. They went away, but i had a neighbor that knew stuff about the muscles in the body and how to help it, he wasn't a massage thereapist or anything. but you might want to think about chiropractic work too, Jordon is actually going to a chiropractor to help out with his head shape since it's been a bit flat on one side for months and its working out really good. plus she can help with all the muscles in the body for releasing different pains or tensions you may have. just something to think about. hope you don't have another episode. take care!

Jessica said...

Oh I hate it when my back goes out! No, there is no cure for back pain, and yes, it gets worse when you're pregnant. Don't we have great genes? I've found that getting consistent massages help a lot, but it costs a fortune.